Ryder was originally in love with childhood friend Jessamine le Fay, but the two decided to separate but still love each other. He also developed a love for his best friend Michael's crush River de Castera.
Early life and childhood abuse Edit
Ryder was born Ryder Sage Liddell on January 11, 1992 in Liddell Manor, Ninth Ward, Britannia, Magical World to a forced arranged marriage between Eric Liddell and Rhea LaVoisin and the younger brother to Fallon Willow, Tristan Moon, and Norwood Ascelin.
Eric was always overshadowed by Giovanni di Adessa and viewed as only second best, regardless of his impressive crime solving record. Eric developed an obsession with surpassing Giovanni, to the point of forcing a Arranged Marriage upon Rhea LaVoisin in order to conceive a child with a strong magical power enough to be capable of surpassing Giovanni.
When he was five years old, Ryder started to receive training from his father because of his power. However, the training was too harsh and forced Ryder to cry and vomit. Rhea would try to defend him, but Eric refused to listen and would even physically abuse her in front of Ryder.
His father also prevented Ryder from interacting with his older siblings and Ryder began to despise the training and resented his father for abusing him and his mother.
During these dark times, Rhea would always be there to support him. Despite the abuse she suffered, she would still try to encourage Ryder to become a great Warlock. There was a time when they watched a TV special on Giovanni. He encouraged children to make their powers their own even if they inherited their parents' abilities. In line with Giovanni's advice, Rhea told him that he is not a prisoner of his bloodline, and could use his powers to become whoever he desires.
However, Rhea eventually broke down from the constant domestic abuse, finding it painful to even look at Ryder's left side because it reminded her of Eric. One day, as she talked with her own mother over the phone about her trauma and recognized that she no longer had the mental stability to raise her son. She was startled by Ryder's sudden appearance at the door, and after seeing Ryder's left side, she snapped and threw boiling water over the boy's face, giving him a burn over his left eye.
Sometime after this incident, Ryder asked his father where his mother was, to which Eric replied that he sent her to the hospital for hurting him. Ryder blamed Eric, saying that everything that happened was his fault. At some point later in his life, Ryder would forget about his mother's supportive words.
Meeting the gang and Jessamine Edit
He had a quiet and cold personality towards strangers and acquaintances. Ryder portrayed himself as a person uninterested in other's business. Meeting his good friend, River changes this part of his personality as he would often help her work through her problems. He was extremely loyal to his friends.
Ryder originally had a cold, aloof personality which stemmed from his abusive upbringing. Focused and unemotional, Ryder preferred to keep to himself instead of hanging out with other people except his childhood friends The Viper Club. After the meeting River, however, Ryder has become noticeably more sociable, even gaining a sense of humor and occasionally smiling, although still retaining a distant attitude for the most part.
Despite his usual reserved demeanor, Ryder did initially possess a mild level of arrogance, which, combined with his solitary tendencies, sometimes made him take the initiative without considering the opinions of others, as he was confident that he could take on any obstacles with his own strength. He used to be much more unfriendly as well, to the point of causing someone to resent him.
Ryder had a deep loathing for his fire abilities, which he inherited from Eric, as it symbolized his father's wickedness towards him and his mother as well as what he was born to be: a tool to surpass Giovanni di Adessa, a fate that he detests.
Despite the pain his mother intensified in himself about his powers he still loves his mother and went fighting River he remembered her words of encouragement and after he visited her in the hospital and they resolved there issues their relationship continues to be close as he visits her often.
Ryder was largely considered handsome, like the other The Viper Club members. His attractive face was complemented by his heterochromia, which causes his left eye to be turquoise and his right eye to be gray.
Ryder had two piercings on his left ear.
Magical abilities Edit
- Reality Perception: Ryder can perceive reality, allowing them to sense the whole truth no matter how it is hidden. If Ryder is questioning someone, they will automatically know if target is lying and sense the truth.
- Ice Manipulation: Ryder can create, shape and manipulate ice, water frozen into a solid state and appears naturally in forms of snow, slush, hail, icicles, ice spikes and candles, glaciers, pack ice, frost, and polar ice caps, and cold by reducing the kinetic energy of atoms and thus making things colder, for various effects and combinations.
- Fire Manipulation: Ryder can create, shape and manipulate fire, the rapid oxidation of a material in the exothermic chemical process of combustion, releasing heat, light, and various reaction products, flame being the visible portion of the fire. Depending on the substances alight, and any impurities outside, the color of the flame and the fire's intensity will be different.
- Spell Casting: Ryder also has the affinity for casting spells and performing rituals.
- Enhanced Intelligence: Ryder has intelligence that is significantly above standard genius level intellect.
- Enhanced Endurance: Ryder has shown to be able to endure combat even while injured.
- Enhanced Agility: Ryder is fast, agile and has quick reflexes.
- Enhanced Durability: Ryder has proven himself to be quite resilient, being able to withstand multiple attacks from River's, including a direct attacks to the stomach.
- Ryder is from an English occupational surname derived from Old English ridere meaning "mounted warrior" or "messenger".
- Sage is from the English word sage, which denotes either a type of spice or else a wise person.
- Liddell is the habitational name from any of various places in the Scottish Borders and Cumbria called Liddel, from the Old English river name Hl¯de, meaning 'loud', + Old English dæl 'valley'.
- According to the databook(s):
- Ryder hobbies are listening to music and playing the violin.
- Ryder favorite foods are sfogliatella and Chicken tikka masala; while her least favorite food is sour candy.
- Ryder favorite pastimes are photography.
- His favorite animals are elephants.
- His favorite flowers are birds of paradise.
- Ryder can sleep up to about how much a cat sleeps.
- His average bath time is none he usually takes showers.
- His favorite artist is
- He represented by the Minor Arcana Ten of Wands.
- His nickname King of Pain and Coldness comes from a poem "Rei da Dor e Frieza, Como você vive? Como você respira?, Sabendo que você é a razão pela qual, Conhecendo sua família é tão infeliz, Você vive e aguenta" written by Nuno da Silvia.